Sunday, December 9, 2012

Focke-Wulf VTOL - Part 1

For my new project, I'm going to tackle the Focke-Wulf VTOL project.
As with other Luft'46 projects, this one never left the drawing boards.  Had it flown, I reckon it might have been the closest thing to a Harrier jumpjet. :)

If you want more information regarding this plane, do head on to www.luft46.com.

Laying down the foundations

As with most, if not all models that are based on 3-view diagrams, the first step would be to setup the 3-view to be used for the 3d modelling software.  I start by getting the 3-view image from www.luft46.com


Then, using a graphics app, I broke apart the 3-view into 4 separate bitmaps, which I'll be labeling as "top", "bottom", "side" and "front". 

I then save the "top", "bottom", "side" and "front" into separate bitmaps.


Then, on Metaseq, create three plane/rectangle objects.  On one of the faces, I apply the "top" and "bottom" bitmap on the front and rear faces.  I apply the "front" and "side" bitmap on the other two rectangles.  This produces the "template" on where I'll be building the 3d model on.


Creating the main components

For the main components which will comprise the overall appearance of the model, I will be using spline patches.  Patches are best for modeling curved surfaces.

I first start with the main body or fuselage. 

Then proceed to make the cockpit.

And lastly, the rudder.

When put together, here's how it looks.

At this point, it looks really rough...almost like it was created from putty. 
You'll notice that the trailing edges of the wing's flaps, ailerons and rudder are kinda rounded.  That's not an issue, as I'll show as the model progresses.

The purpose of using spline patches is to capture the almost organic curves that make up for 90% of the model's body.  And for that it has succeeded.

The next step would be to "freeze" the spline patches to create the actual wireframes.  From there I'll start to do boolean operations to punch a hole through the fuselage to make room for the propellers.

No comments: